This photograph shows Mr. Leonard Walter Roper, of Cherry Tree Lane, at work on his 1939-45 War Memorial which is now in the Memorial Chapel of St. Nicholas Church, North Walsham.
Mr Roper was taught his craft by the famed woodcarver, Mr Charles Simpson, who carved the oak 1914-18 War Memorial, when he was employed by Cornish & Gaymer, the famous ecclesiastical builders, with whom he served for 18 years. Mr. Roper later served with the builders E.J.Sayer for around 7 years before becoming one of three partners in the building firm of Foulser, Roper and Self, Bank Loke.
Mr. Roper served as a Church Warden and was a member of the Parochial Church Council.
This archive item has been viewed 2514 time(s).