This photograph was taken in 1910 by R.M.Ling (l) and shows Porter's shop in Market Street. Mr. Porter first appeared in the Trade Directory of 1900 as a "Watch and Clock Maker". In February 1913 he advertised a clearance sale prior to moving his business to the present jeweller's shop at 45 Market Place. In 1928 he sold the business to Mr. L.F.Hancock who ran it for 50 years.
Much of the fascia of the original property has remained virtually unchanged and, it has been home to "Papillon" gift shop, and more recently become Caton's second hand furniture store.
This archive item has been viewed 2223 time(s).