North Walsham & District Community Archive

A history of North Walsham in street names

The history of any town is woven in to its street (and place) names, North Walsham is no different. Some names are ancient and we can only explore possible origins, others are more modern and in living memory or recorded somewhere. With the help of the North Walsham & District Community Archive Facebook group members we have compiled a guide to all the street/place names in the town and their probable origins.

Abby Court
Named after St Benet’s Abbey and it’s connection with St Nicholas Church.
Acacia Drive
Named after the Acacia tree that grew (and still grows) in the garden of #2.
Acorn Road
Woodland trees.
Alder Close
Woodland trees.
Anchor Road
Named after the Anchor pub on Spa Common.
Angel Court
Named after the Angel pub where the farmworkers union was formed (Sir George Edwards).
Angel Drive
Named after the Angel pub where the farmworkers union was formed (Sir George Edwards).
Antingham Drive
Originates from Mr C Plumbly’s Antingham Lodge just next door and it’s location on his former business yard. Mr Plumbly originated from Antingham Hall on the main Cromer Road.
Arnold Pitcher Close
Newsagent Arnold Pitcher, who traded from Church Street in the 1960s, lived on this piece of land.
Ashfield Road
Historically refers to a field with ash trees.
Aylsham Road
This road goes to Aylsham! The ‘town’ end of Aylsham Road was previously known as Angel Street and also Aylsham Lane.
Bacton Road
this road leads to Bacton. The town end was originally known as Reeves Lane. Originally in Anglo-Saxon England the reeve was a senior official with local responsibilities under the Crown, e.g., as the chief magistrate of a town or district. Subsequently, after the Norman conquest, it was an office held by a man of lower rank, appointed as manager of a manor and overseer of the peasants.
Bainbridge Close
Named after Lorraine Bainbridge. She was the housing manager in North Walsham before she sadly died of cancer.
Baker Close
Possibly named after Thomas Baker, an English landowner, who was one of the leaders who initiated the Peasants’ Revolt of 1381. This cluster of roads all tell the story of the 1381 Peasants’ Revolt.
This could also have been named after Mr Richard Baker who managed the East of England Bank in North Walsham.
Bank Loke
The loke behind Barclay’s Bank which stood here for a hundred years and closed in early 2019.
Banningham Court
Probably named after the local village of Banningham which is on this side of town.
Barton Close
Named after Barton Farm previously there.
Bayes Court
Named after ‘Pongo’ Bayes, local policeman and respected player for North Walsham Football Club.
Beatrice Close
Named after Beatrice Cork of Cork builders in the town.
Beech Drive
Woodland trees.
Beechwood Close
Woodland trees.
Benets View
St Benet’s Abbey, mediæval patrons of North Walsham parish church.
Birds Road
Named after Basil Bird who played for North Walsham Football Club. This road was built on the old football ground.
Birch Close
Woodland trees.
Black Swan Loke
The loke behind the Black Swan public house.
Bloom Court
Fred Bloom “Family” Butcher, Chairman of NW UDC and Town Council, School Governor of most of North Walsham Schools, Magistrate, life long Methodist etc.
Bluebell Road
The road to Bluebell common where the Bluebell pub still stands.
Bradfield Close
Probably as this road spurs off Bradfield Road.
Bradfield Road
The road to Bradfield!
Brick Kiln Road
The site of the Brick Kiln Clayworks on Manor Road, between Brick Kiln Farm (which was No.12) & 16 Manor Road. The clay pit pond is still there.
Bridge Court
Unknown. There was never a bridge near here.
Brookes Drive
Brookes Drive after Mr. Brookes owner of the Manor House in woods now Care home.
Brunswick Close
Named after Brunswick house, property of the Wooll family
Burton Avenue
Mr Burton who farmed on Norwich Road.
Burton Close
Mr Burton who farmed on Norwich Road.
Buxton Road
Originally known as Gravel Hole Loke. This road doesn’t lead to Buxton and may have more to do with the local Buxton family name.
Campion Close
Named after Cassie Jackman whose married name was Campion when she won the world squash title .
Cedar Court
Cedar Court because it was built on part of the garden belonging to The Cedars (late Council Offices).
Cherry Tree Lane
There used to be a plant nursery on this road with a cherry orchard.
Chestnut Avenue
This appears in keeping with a cluster of roads named after plants.
Church Approach
The approach to the church!
Church Street
The street adjacent to the church. Shown on the 1842 map of North Walsham as Back Street.
The Close
Just a close!
Cooper Road
Named after “Old” Captain Cooper (Thomas Cooper lll), who lived in The Oaks.
Corbett Road
Possibly named after Frank Corbett who owned Scarborough Hill house in the early 1900s.
Cornish Way
Named after one half of the nationally famed ecclesiastical builders in the town Cornish & Gaymer.
Coronation Walk
Council house development of 1953 built to commemorate the Coronation of Elizabeth II.
Cosy Corner
One of a group of OAP bungalows built on Millfield Estate by North Walsham Urban District Council in 1934.
Cousens Close
Named after named after the whole Cousens family who between them served over 250 years in North Walsham Canning Factory and its subsequent titles.
Cradlewood Road
Absolutely no idea!
Cromer Road
Goes to Cromer. Originally known as Antingham Lane.
Crow Road
Probably named after the Crow(e) family who resided in North Walsham in the 1700s and 1800s.
Currie way
Named after James Mutrie Currie, manager at North Walsham Canneries on the Norwich Road.
Debenne Road
Named after John Stephen Debenne (1727-1807), a peruke (wig) maker and barber
Dixon Road
Named after John Dixon who lived in Tudor House, on Grammar School Road, a well-known businessman and a leading light in the community, proprietor of North Walsham Picturedrome, manager of North Walsham gas works and church organist amongst other things!
Douglas Bader Close
Named after Group Captain Sir Douglas Robert Steuart Bader, CBE, DSO & Bar, DFC & Bar, DL, FRAeS was a Royal Air Force flying ace during the Second World War.
Duncan Way
Named after Albert Anderson Duncan of Duncan Canneries which started on New Road before moving premises to the Norwich Road.
Durrell Way
Named after Mr Joseph Durrell who brought the Norwich Road tower mill in 1857.
Ellinor Road
Ellinor was the wife of Mr E. B. LeGrice who owned LeGrice plant nursery.
Ewing Road
Named after Thomas Ewing owner of the Norwich Road red brick tower mill in the 1800s.
Fairview Road
Possibly just refering to the beautiful view from this area.
Fairstead Close
The name ‘Fairstead’ originates from Old English, meaning ‘fair place’. Fair (fæger) meaning fair, beautiful or pleasant.
Farman Avenue
The renowned thatchers who operated from North Walsham.
Farm View
Possibly referring to this area having a view of a farm!
Fenn Close
Named after Mr Fenn, General Manager for HP Smedley canning factory and editor of the north east Norfolk church magazine which stood in this location.
Fern Drive
Another botanical name.
Field Lane
Originally Hagg Loke
Field View
Probably just because it overlooks a field.
Folgate Road
One of the ‘gates’ in the town, also known as The Folly. One of the many ‘gates’ around the town (Marshgate, Withergate, Briggate, Holgate, Lyngate, etc.) where “gate” is derived from Norse (gata) meaning a road.
Foundry Court
Named after Randell’s foundry which operated close by between 1867 (although the business started in the Market Place in 1828) until 1989.
Foxglove Close
Another botanical name.
Fuller Road
Named after local businessman G. B. Fuller who was also involved with St Johns Ambulance. This was originally known as Buxton Road and what is now Buxton Road was Gravel Hole Loke.
Furze Hill Drive
Furze is another name for gorse. This area of the Happisburgh Road is known as Furze Hill.
Garden Close
Just named after the garden previously here we believe.
Garden Court
Just named after the garden previously here we believe.
Gaymer’s Way
Named after one half of the nationally famed ecclesiastical builders in the town Cornish & Gaymer.
Gigli Close
Named after Terry Gigli a stalwart of North Walsham Football Club.
Glaven Close
Probably named after the North Norfolk river Glaven.
Glebe Court
Glebe (also known as church furlong, rectory manor or parson’s close(s)) is an area of land within an ecclesiastical parish used to support a parish priest.
Gooch Close
Named after Edwin Gooch, a former MPfor North Norfolk.
Grammar School Road
The Road where Paston Grammar School (now Paston College) stands.
Grange Court
Built on the old tennis courts which belonged to the neighbouring large house; The Grange.
Grange Mews
Built with views of the neighbouring large house; The Grange.
The Green
Just a green area!
Greens Road
Greenway Close
Named after Captain Greenway who lived in “Lower House”, the large home that stood in this area until the early 1960s. Between 1914-1919 it was a Red Cross Voluntary Aid Hospital.
Grove Road
The road is adjacent to the large old house which stood on Hall Lane called “Beech Grove”.
Hadfield Road
Named after the garden centre which used to operate here before moving to the outskirts of North Walsham on the Yarmouth Road.
Hall Lane
Unknown. Despite research we can find no notable hall along this road which would have stood here at the time the road was named.
Hamilton Close
Named after Lady Hamilton (1765-1815) English model and actress, mistress of Lord Nelson.
Hamlet Close
Named after Hamlet House which originally stood here.
Hannant Road
Hannat has been a major name in the local motor industry of North Walsham for many decades.
Happisburgh Road
The road to Happisburgh.
Harbord Close
Named after Doris Harbord who owned Gunton Estate and died in 1979.
Hardy Close
Absolutely no idea!
Harmer Close
Named after Mr Harmer, member of North Walsham Urban District Council and Town Council, reporter for EDP and North Walsham Church warden.
Harvey Drive
Possibly named after the adjoining Lyngate Road which was previously know to locals as Harvey Lane.
Hazell Road
Named after the former local Labour MP.
Headley Drive
Named after Dr Headley who used to be practice in North Walsham.
Heath Road
This road is on, what used to be known as, North Walsham Heath.
Hipperson Close
Named after Cecil Hipperson, member of North Walsham Urban District Council and Town Council and Town Mayor
Holgate Road
One of the many ‘gates’ around the town (Marshgate, Withergate, Briggate, Lyngate, etc.) where “gate” is derived from Norse (gata) meaning a road.
The Hollies
Anglo-Saxon name Hollies come from when the family resided near a field of holly having derived from the word for holly in the language of the time. In the Old English the word for holly is holegn, or perhaps holen; in the Old English the words for holly were holei or holen.
Hollybush Road
This appears in keeping with a cluster of roads named after plants.
Honeysuckle Close
Another botanical name.
Hornbeam Road
Two old hornbeams stood here infront of North Walsham canning factory and were removed to make way for the housing development behind.
Howard Court
Named after Howards Garage which originally stood there
Howlett Close
Named after Lenny Howlett, former Mayor of North Walsham.
Juler Close
Named after John Juler, an 18th century clock and watchmaker in Market Place, North Walsham.
Kemp Road
Named after David Kemp, well loved employee of North Walsham Canning Factory.
Kendall Close
Named after Mr Kendall, Counsellor at Law who married the last Scarburgh of North Walsham, an heiress, Mary and lived in the mansion which has become the Girls’ High School.
Ketts Road
Probably named after Robert Kett, of Kett’s Rebellion 1549.
Kimberley Road
Named after Earl of Kimberley who owned and lived in Witton Hall before its demise and eventual demolition.
Kings Arms Court
See Kings Arms Street.
Kings Arms Street
The street adjacent to The King’s Arms hotel.
Kings Close
Named after the King family whose garage stood on the site known as Hall Lane Garage.
Council house development of 1953 built to commemorate the Coronation of Elizabeth II.
Laburnum Road
The houses on this road all had Laburnham trees in the front garden when first established.
Laundry Loke
This was the site of the North Walsham Steam Laundry which opened in 1900, burned down and rebuilt in 1906. It became ‘Lavender Linen’ in 1977, became ‘Initial Linen Services’ around 2000 and finally closed down in 2006, demolished a few years later.
The Lea
A Lea is an open area of grassy or arable land.
LeGrice Crescent
Named after LeGrice Rose Nurseries which once operated here before moving to their Norwich Road premises.
Lime Tree Road
Named after the lime trees in the garden of Lime Tree House.
Linford Court
Named after Herbert Linford, North Walsham town councillor 1984-1985.
Link Road
Just a link road which links Cromer Road to Bradfield Road.
Litester Close
Named after John Litester from Norwich, “King of The Commons” and leader of the Peasants Pevolt who was captured and publically executed in 1381.
Little London Lane
Possibly a modern english version of the Anglo Saxon word “Utlenden” used to describe strangers, foreigners, Britons or Welshman which sounds very much like Little London and could have been widely recognised throughout the counties of England. When written down in the Middle Ages by the local scribes, it would have become Litillondon.
Loads Buildings
Named after Mr Loads who owned the draper’s shop and funded building the RC church.
Long Barrow Drive
Misleadingly named, as the play area mound is not a longbarrow but is a modern protection of the traces of a buried Bronze Age ring ditch.
Louis Arthur Court
Named after Prince Louis of Cambridge, third and youngest child and second son of Prince William, Duke of Cambridge, and Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge born the year construction of Louis Arthur Court began.
Lynfield Road
If Lyngate was Norse for a road leading to “Lyn” then this is the field associated with it. Lyn is Celtic meaning, pond, stream, pool, etc.
Lyngate Gardens
See Lyngate Road.
Lyngate Road
The road to Lyngate (Lingate), one of the many ‘gates’ around the town (Marshgate, Withergate, Briggate, Holgate, etc.) where “gate” is derived from Norse (gata) meaning a road.
Manor Court
Just off Manor Road.
Manor Road
The road to the manor although in this case manor probably refers to manorial agricultural land, orchards, fish ponds, etc. within the parish rather than a manor house.
Marjoram Close
Named after Fred Marjoram who owned the outfitters in the Market Place familiar to generations of Pastonians.
Market Cross Mews
A mews is a row or street of houses or flats that have been converted from stables. These ones face the Market Cross.
Market Place
The place where the market has been held since records began in 1391.
Market Street
The is the street which leads to the market place.
One of the many ‘gates’ around the town (Briggate, Lyngate, Holgate, etc.) where “gate” is derived from Norse (gata) meaning a road. One would assume this is a road to the marsh.
Masters Court
Named after John Edward Masters who was involved in the development of the Community Centre.
Mayfield Way
Meadow Close
Probably just near a meadow.
Melbourne Road
Named after Melbourne House, the old Georgian building on Bacton Road close to the estate which this road is part of.
Midland Road
This is the yard for the old Midland & Great Northern Railway Station.
Millard Close
Possibly named after Phillip Millard, a local clerk to the magistrates in the 1800s.
Millfield Road
Named after the mill which stood adjacent to the top of Millfield Road on the Norwich Road.
Mill Road
This is where Youngman’s Mill once stood.
Mitre Tavern Yard
Named after the Mitre Tavern public house which once stood here.
Morris Road
Named after Wilfred Morris, former Urban District Council surveyor.
Morrison Close
Probably named after local Doctor; Henry Morrison who died in 1948.
Mundesley Road
The road to Mundesley although the town end was once known as Nelson Street (after the Nelson pub which stood there) and further out known as Swafield Road.
Nelson Road
Named after Admiral Lord Nelson who attended Paston Grammar School (1768 -1771) with his brother William. William stayed for a further three years after his brother left.
Nelson Way
See Nelson Road.
New Road
This road was new in 1790! It ran east from Smith’s Corner for about 100 meters, then ran south- east to meet Happisburgh Road. T. H. Cooper of The Oaks had it moved, as it crossed his paddock, so it runs east to meet Pound Road.
Norfolkman Drive
Probably named after the train because of its location near the now removed Antingham Road Junction and the cut as they were known in the days of the M&GN and LNER railways.
North Street
A very old street which probably acquired its name as it ran north from the church.
Northfield Road
Originally known as Catchpit Lane (or Cats Pit Lane). The origin if the name not officially known but asumed to be the pit that caught the water from the drains which ran away from the town centre. Catchpit was a late medieval and early modern term for a soakaway.
Northmead Drive
Possibly derived from “North Meadow”.
Norwich Road
The road to Norwich
Nursery Drive
The drive down to the old LeGrice nurseries.
Oak Close
See “Oak Road”
Oak Road
Possibly named after the Oaks house and estate which used to stand where North Walsham Memorial Park is now.
Oaklands Park
Anglo-saxon for .land abounding in oak trees’.
Old Bear Court
The court behind the Old Bear public house & stores on Market Street.
Orchard Close
Once the site of a large orchard.
Osborne Close
Named after Harold Osborne, former North Walsham Town Councillor.
Page Close
Named after Dr Page, general practitioner and local historian.
Park Avenue
This was the location of the people’s park until it moved across the road in the 1940s to, what had been until then, the ground of the Oaks estate to make way for housing development which is now know as Park Estate.
Park Court
Built where Park Hall originally stood, the where Duncan Industries operated from.
Park Lane
Originally known as Petticoat Lane. Possibly named as this took you to the park between the two railway lines which was used for some town events.
Patch Meadow
Probably originally just a meadow or patch of grass.
Pellew Place
Named after Claughton Pellew (1890-1966), a reclusive painter and wood engraver of prodigious talent who lived and worked in obscurity at Overstrand and Southrepps.
Petre Close
Named after the Petre family who owned Westwick estate until the early 1900s.
Pickford Close
Named after ‘Percy’ Pickford, once headmaster of Paston Grammar School, North Walsham.
Plantation Road
A plantation is the large-scale estate meant for farming that specializes in cash crops.
Plumbly Close
Named after the farmer who owned the land these houses were built on.
Pope’s Passage
Named after William Pope and his wife (a milliner). Draper, hatter, auctioneer of windmills and postmaster who ran the shop next door.
Poppy Close
Another botanical name.
Pound Road
Named after the livestock pound which stood at the Manor Road end of this road.
Preston Road
Possibly named after Sir J. H. Preston, magistrate and principal landowner at Smallburgh.
Princes Street
Council house development of 1953 built to commemorate the Coronation of Elizabeth II.
Primrose Walk
This appears in keeping with a cluster of roads named after plants.
Council house development of 1953 built to commemorate the Coronation of Elizabeth II
Rayna Loke
Named after North Walsham Town Councillor Peter Rayna. 1988-1989.
Randell Close
Named after Mr Tony Randell, second son of Frank Randell, the proprietor of F. Randell Ironmonger in North Walsham Market Place.
Recreation Road
There once stood a recreation ground on this land.
Redman Road
Named after Bishop Redman who was responsible for rebuilding North Walsham Market Cross in 1602 after the great fire.
Reeves Court
This area was originally Dog Yard, named after the public house which stood here. Reeves Court probably acknowledges that Bacton Road, which Reeves Court stands beside, was originally called Reeves Lane.
See Bacton Road.
Regents Court
Council house development of 1953 built to commemorate the Coronation of Elizabeth II
Another botanical name.
Roper Way
Named after Leonard Roper, a craftsman at Cornish & Gaymer’s as well as at Foulser, Roper & Self.
Royston Green
The name Royston appears several times in North Walsham. Royston bridge over the North Walsham to Dilham canal which stands on the edge of the land occupied by Royston House on the Bacton Road. Possibly the initial residents of this house but unconfirmed.
Rye Close
Probably named after the iconic Norfolk author Walter Rye (1843-1929) who wrote about “Battle of North Walsham”.
Sadlers Way
This road is the route to Saddlers Hill Woods.
Sampson Road
Named after Miss Rebecca J. Sampson, long serving matron at the Cottage Hospital from it’s opening day in 1924 until she retired in 1952. She also gave her name to Rebecca House.
Saxon Court
Probably recognising the Saxon origins of the town.
St Benets Avenue
Named after St Benet’s Abbey and it’s connection with St Nicholas Church
St Marys Way
Possibly recognising the original name of the parish church which was known as St Mary’s during the middle ages before becoming the St Nicholas’ church we have today.
St Nicholas Court
Shopping precinct built in the shadow of St Nicholas’ parish church.
St Nicholas Road
Probably in recognition of our parish church.
Sendall Road
Probably named after Maurice Sendall who played for North Walsham Football Club. This road was built on the old football ground.
Shepheard Close
Named after Dr John Shepheard, JP, who died in 1891 and was Medical Officer for the North Walsham District Council and Medical Officer to the Southrepps District of the Erpingham Union.
Simpson Close
Named after famed woodcarver Mr Charles Simpson who worked for Cornish & Gaymer ecclesiatical builders.
Skeyton New Road
This road originally joined the Skeyton Road as the road out of North Walsham in that direction until the railway came and the road had to be diverted up to near the Station Road/Aylsham Road junction. That railway has since been removed and become part of Weaver’s Way.
Skeyton Road
The road to Skeyton.
Skeyton View
This road looks out of Skeyton, or at least it would if the trees weren’t in the way!
Smedley Close
This recent addition to the town is built on the land originally occupied by HP Smedleys canning factory on the Norwich Road which was previously know as the North Walsham Canning Factory.
South Rise
The top end of Buxton Road, originally known as Gravel Hole Loke.
Spenser Avenue
Named after Henry De Spenser, Bishop of Norwich, who was able to raise enough forces to drive the rebels from Norwich to Bryants Heath near North Walsham and on to North Walsham parish church in 1381 where they massacred of hundreds of peasants and captured their leader, John Litester, for public execution
Spurdens Crescent
William Tylney Spurdens was headmaster of Paston 1807-25, and assistant curate of North Walsham 1814, Felmingham and Antingham 1815, Dilham & Honing 1826-36, Worstead 1837-40. He also bought The Oaks when Thomas Cooper died.
Stanford Tuck Road
Named after Robert Stanford Tuck (WWII fighter pilot, commander at Coltishall).
Stanley Road
Named after Neville Stanley, North Walsham councillor and dairy farmer at Melbourne House which is adjacent to the estate this road occupies.
Station Road
This road leads up to the railway station.
Suffield Close
Named after the local magistrate Lord Suffield.
Sunny Corner
One of a group of OAP bungalows built on Millfield Estate by North Walsham Urban District Council in 1934.
Swafield Rise
This road stands on a hill overlooking the village of Swafield.
Sycamore Close
Another botanical name.
Tenison Road
Named after Arch Bishop Tenison, a Scholar at Paston Grammar School, who crowned Queen Anne & George I.
The Terrace
A Georgian row of terraced houses.
Thirlby Road
Named after Thomas Thirlby (1506–1570), the first and only bishop of Westminster (1540–50), and afterwards successively bishop of Norwich (1550–54) responsible for the original market cross in North Walsham Market Place.
Thomas Dix Court
Thomas Dix was a North Walsham school master and surveyor who died in 1813. He has a memorial tablet in St Nicholas’ Church.
Trafalgar Court
To celebrate Nelson’s victory at the battle of Trafalgar and built  behind the old Nelson Public House.
Trafalgar Terrace
Built in 1806 to celebrate Nelson’s victory at the battle of Trafalgar.
Tungate Lane
Another of the many ‘gates’ around the town (Marshgate, Withergate, Briggate, Holgate, etc.) where “gate” is derived from Norse (gata) meaning a road.
Valley Gardens
This road is built in a valley (arguably).
Vicarage Street
This was the original home of North Walsham vicarage which still stands at the top of Vicarage Street today but is now a private residence.
The 1842 map of North Walsham shows this road as Church Gate. The lower half was also known as Theatre Street for a while after the Fisher Theatre which once stoof there.
Victory Court
Named after Nelson’s famous ship HMS Victory.
Waterfield Meadows
Unknown but probably because this area was originally marshland (close to Marshgate).
Weavers Court
In recognition of the Flemish weavers who settled in North Walsham in the 13th and 14th centuries and were integral to the town’s growth and prosperity.
Weavers Way Close
This close is close to Weaver’s Way, the popular footpath which follows the old MGNR railway line from Yarmouth to Melton Constable.
Webbs Close
Named after Mr & Mrs Webb who farmed the land here.
Wells Avenue
Westwick Drive
Probably because this road is on the Westwick side of town.
Wharton Drive
Named after Henry Wharton (1664-95) who was a pupil at Paston, and became an historian, assisting Thomas Tenison. He ended up as Vicar of Minster in Kent. He died aged 30 of consumption (TB), and is buried in Westminster Abbey, with anthems at the service composed specially by Henry Purcell. Wharton was one of the four houses at Paston. (house colour: blue), the others being Nelson, Tenison, and Hoste.
Wherry Close
Maybe named after The Wherry Public House on the Bacton Road or maybe just the famous Norfolk Wherry itself.
White Horse Common
Named after the White Horse Public House which operated here and still stands but is now a private residence.
Wilkinson Way
Named after William Farley Wilkinson, the Vicar of NW 1831-51 - as well as several other places. There is a memorial to the family in the north wall of the church near the draught-lobby.
William Paston Road
He founded North Walsham Grammar School in 1606.
Williams Way
Named after William Cork of Cork builders in the town.
Willow Close
Another botanical name.
Willow Park
Another botanical name.
Windmill Loke
The was once a windmill on these grounds which also gave Millfield Road it’s name.
Winston Court
Unknown. Perhaps reference to Winston Churchill?
Witton View
You probably could see Witton Woods from here once upon a time.
Woodbine Close
This appears in keeping with a cluster of roads named after plants.
Probably because this overlooks Sadler’s Wood.
Wood View
You can see Skeyton Wood from here.
Wooll Drive
Named after Edward Wooll who was a Q.C. for 40 years and Recorder of Carlisle for 25 years. He and his family grew up in North Walsham and owned Brunswick House.
Workhouse Loke
This is the location of the old North Walsham workhouse built in 1786 and closed in 1827. The workhouse was used as factory space for a while after it closed and later demolished.
Wrights Close
This road and the cluster of roads around it were all named after prominent players in the North Walsham Football Club which was based on this ground. This road refers to Joe Wright.
Yarmouth Road
This road leads to Great Yarmouth!
Youngman’s Close
Names after Youngman’s mill which once stood here.